Amendments to AFSPA pending: Chidambaram
Jammu: Union Home Minister P Chidambaram
on Tuesday said his ministry has sought amendments in the Armed
Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) which were pending before
the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS).
"Ministry of Home Affairs has proposed three amendments
in AFSPA. They are under consideration of CCS," he told
However, he did not elaborate on the nature of the
amendments that have been proposed.
Chidambaram was on a day-long visit to Jammu and Kashmir
to review the security situation in the state.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah is pressing strongly for
revocation of AFSPA and reducing foot-prints of the security
forces in the state in a phased manner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj