AMM demands action in Pathribal case
Srinagar: The Awami Mutahida Mahaz (AMM) on Friday termed the Army`s decision to close Pathribal fake encounter case as injustice and sought swift action against the guilty based on CBI findings.
Stating that the Army`s decision giving a clean chit to the accused Army officers, was in contradiction with the CBI`s findings "in which they were indicted for the murder of five civilians".
"The AMM is of the opinion that Army`s decision to close the case drawn on hasty conclusions not only deprives justice to victims, but further erodes the credibility of institutions of probity and fairness," AMM, which is a group of mainstream political parties in Jammu and Kashmir, said in statement.
The Army today closed the Pathribal encounter case and submitted a report to the local court in Srinagar saying it has found no evidence against its accused men, 14 years after the incident rocked the state.
The AMM, which includes the state unit of CPI(M), said the CBI had indicted the Army officials of killing 5 civilians and terming them militants.
"The closure report has created a lot of confusion as the CBI has already established a case against the Army officials describing the killing of five civilians at Pathribal as a cold-blooded murder.
"In such circumstances, the government should, without any delay, act on the CBI findings and punish the guilty," the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Pakistan's attrocities on Gilgit-Baltistan to Mehbooba's hard hitting attitude on Kashmir violence
- West Indies vs India, 1st T20I: MS Dhoni & Co fall short by one run in world record run chase
- Belgian Grand Prix: Nico Rosberg beats Max Verstappen to grab pole position
- EPL 2016-17, Gameweek 3: Saturday football — Chelsea take pole, Arsenal end winless run
- UPSC issues e-admit cards for NDA, NA exams 2016
- West Indies vs India, 1st T20I: MS Dhoni admits execution of his last ball dismissal wrong