Anganwadi workers, helpers stage demonstration in J&K
Srinagar: A large number of anganwadi workers and helpers on Wednesday staged a demonstration here in support of their demands including enhancement of their remuneration and payment of minimum wages.
The demonstrators, affiliated with Jammu and Kashmir Anganwadi Workers and Helpers Union (AWHU), assembled at Press Enclave in the heart of the city to press for their demands.
Besides enhancement of their remuneration and payment of minimum wages, they were also demanding gratuity, formulation of a pension scheme and withdrawal of attempts to privatise Integrated Child Development Scheme (ICDS).
The protesters were also demanding regularisation of their services as Class III and Class IV employees and immediate increase in their honorarium to Rs 5,000 and Rs 4,000 per month respectively.
They were also demanding release of training grants in favour of the workers and helpers without any delay and release of Travel Allowance and DA for attending different meetings like pulse polio and Aids Awareness Programmes.
President AWHU Naseema Kuchay, who was leading the protest, said the grass-root workers of ICDS scheme should be entitled to decent living.
"A standing mechanism must be put in place in Ministry of Women and Child Development for revision in the rates of Honorarium of anganwadi workers and helpers," she said adding "anganwadi workers and helpers should be covered by the EPF and ESI Act for regularisation of their services as government employee, besides Anaganwadi Centres must be made as nodal centers to impart pre-school education."
Meanwhile, General Secretary Centre of Indian Trade Union (CITU) Om Prakash Sharma expressed concern over the plight of anganwadi workers and helpers and urged the government to concede to their genuine demands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Gael Monfils to face Ivo Karlovic in Washington Open final
- Olympics 2016: IOC faces historic call on Russia Rio ban
- Kashmir unrest over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew lifted from these four districts - FULL DETAILS
- Salman Khan plans a special birthday party for alleged girlfriend Iulia Vantur? - Know more
- Major water crisis in Chandigarh, Mohali and Panchkula - Know reason behind it