Another youth dies, curfew in Srinagar
Srinagar: The toll in the ongoing cycle of violence in the Kashmir Valley rose to 50 with another youth succumbing to injuries sustained in firing by security forces, police said Monday as curfew was imposed in Srinagar to contain tensions.
"Fida Nabi Lone, 20, who had been injured in Shalteng outskirts of Srinagar city last week, when a violent mob defied curfew and attacked security forces, died in hospital during the night (Sunday)," a police officer said here.
With the youth`s death, the total number of civilians killed in security force firing since June 11 has gone up to 50, 33 of them in violent clashes in the Valley since July 30 while 17 other protesters died between June 11 to July 29.
"Curfew has been imposed in Srinagar city to prevent violence. Restrictions have also been imposed in the south Kashmir towns of Anantnag, Pulwama, Kakpora and Kulgam while there are no restrictions in Shopian town.
"There are no restrictions in the north Kashmir towns of Sopore, Baramulla, Handwara and Kupwara," the officer said.
Hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani has called for protests and shutdown in the Valley Monday as part of his group`s `Quit Kashmir` campaign.
The latest resistance calendar issued by Geelani`s group had asked people to resume normal activities Sunday and buy essentials to sustain another spell of protests and shutdowns called during this week by the group.
The Kashmir Valley has been on the boil for more than 50 days due to violent protests against civilians being killed in firing by security forces.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!