Anti-graft voices ignored in Valley: Mirwaiz
Srinagar: Moderate Hurriyat Conference leader Mirwaiz Umar Farooq on Friday praised Anna Hazare and his crusade against graft, describing him as an "old man" who has waged a war against corruption and "loot".
"You must be knowing that this time an old man has waged a war against corruption, loot. If we talk about Jammu and Kashmir, on one hand we face repression but on the other hand we are not lagging behind in corruption," Mirwaiz told a Friday congregation at Jamia Masjid here.
Making a comparison with Anna`s campaign, Mirwaiz lamented that whenever the people here have spoken against corruption and social-ills, they have been ignored by the media and the civil society and their voice silenced.
"When we talk about corruption, about the evils in society, our voice is silenced. Our programmes are being banned," he said.
Anna Hazare`s campaign, which mobilised thousands across the country, has found very few takers in Kashmir Valley, the place considered widely plagued by corruption.
Earlier, commenting about the recent visit of US senator John McCain, Mirwaiz said he welcomed "one part" of McCain`s statement in which he said India and Pakistan should resolve the Kashmir issue.
Mirwaiz, however, said he disagreed with McCain`s statement in which the US Senator had said situation in Kashmir had improved.
"The foreign dignitaries should talk to a common Kashmiri and know from him what is the situation in Kashmir. If situation has improved, why have not the black laws been repealed, why are young boys still being arrested, why is opposition being arrested," he said.
McCain, who was the US Republican presidential candidate in 2008, had visited Kashmir earlier this week and met Governor NN Vohra and Chief Minister Omar Abdullah while skipping any meeting with the separatists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price