Anti-Israel protest turns violent in Srinagar
Zee Media Bureau
Srinagar: A protest march against the killing of Palestinians in Gaza turned violent in Srinagar on Tuesday with the police resorting to lathicharge to control the situation.
Soon after the Eid prayers, hundreds of people, carrying anti-Israel banners, converged at the Eid gah area of old city and started shouting slogans. The Hurritat had called for a protest.
The mob then proceeded towards Lal Chowk, only to be stopped by the security forces, leading to clashes.
The security forces resorted to lathicharge and used tear gas shells to control the crowd.
The situation remains tense in the city as reports claimed that more protests have broken out in other parts of the city and in other parts of the valley.
The anti-Israel sentiment runs deep in Kashmir and presents a challenge to the state government and security forces in their endeavour to maintain law and order in the state, especially in Srinagar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog