Antony concludes Kashmir visit
Srinagar: Defence Minister A K Antony on Sunday wound up his two-day security review trip to Kashmir with a visit to forward Army posts along the Line of Control (LoC) in Tangdhar sector of Kupwara district.
Antony, who is accompanied by Chief of Army Staff General Bikram Singh and Defence Secretary Shashikant Sharma, visited the forward posts along the LoC in Tangdhar sector this morning, defence sources said.
They said the Defence minister was briefed about the prevailing security scenario along the LoC in Tangdhar sector and the counter-infiltration measures put in place by the Army.
Tangdhar had emerged as a favoured infiltration route for militants last year as many bids were foiled by the army. However, this year, the level of infiltration bids from this sector have come down substantially.
Later, Antony flew back to Delhi along with his entourage.
During his two-day stay in the Valley, the Defence Minister held a series of meetings to review the security scenario in Kashmir.
Chairing the Unified Headquarters meeting yesterday, he said the "visibility" of troops should be reduced as much as possible in the state without compromising efficacy.
Antony also asked security forces and intelligence agencies to enhance their coordination to thwart enemy attempts to disturb peace in the border state.
The Defence Minister, who visited Jammu and Kashmir after a gap of 18 months, also met Governor N N Vohra, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and senior officials of the security grid here.
The Defence Ministry said in a statement after yesterday`s meeting, "Antony called upon the top brass of the Army, paramilitary forces, state police and intelligence agencies to bring more synergy in their efforts to ensure peace, stability and prosperity in the state".
He said the coordination mechanism should be made perfect to thwart any attempt from enemies to disturb peace in the state.
"Enemies from across the border will continue their efforts; however, if the security and intelligence agencies understand each other better, the efforts of the enemies will not succeed," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum