Antony orders probe into killing of Kashmiri youth
New Delhi/Srinagar: Overruling the Army, Defence Minister A K Antony on Thursday ordered an inquiry into the killing of a youth in Kashmir which triggered protests by locals who claimed that he was not a militant but an innocent killed in custody.
Ordering the inquiry, Antony directed the Army to take strict action against anyone found guilty.
Earlier, the Army had ruled out any inquiry into the matter contending that the youth was a militant as weapons were recovered alongside him.
"For us there is nothing to prove ... It is clear. Army is a disciplined force and carries out operations with honesty and integrity," General Officer Commanding of the Army`s 15 Corps Lt General Om Prakash told reporters on the sidelines of a function in Srinagar.
He said the operation in which the youth was killed in Bandipora district on Tuesday night was based on intelligence inputs about movement of militants for the past three days through the area.
"During this operation, movement was observed late in the night. When they were challenged, they opened firing first which was retaliated. One person was killed and weapons were also recovered from the spot," Lt Gen Prakash said.
Hilal Ahmad Dar, a resident of Aloosa in Bandipora district, was killed in army firing late on Tuesday night, triggering protests in the area.
The local residents have alleged that Dar was killed in custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- 'A Flying Jatt' rapper Raftaar speaks about his Bollywood journey- READ
- Pakistani beauty Mahira Khan caught in mixed emotions for 'Raees'
- No relief from HC for expelled BJP leader Dayashankar Singh
- Beat that! Egyptian women are world leaders in assaulting husbands
- Mamata condoles Mahasweta Devi's passing