Antony orders probe into killing of Kashmiri youth
New Delhi/Srinagar: Overruling the Army, Defence Minister A K Antony on Thursday ordered an inquiry into the killing of a youth in Kashmir which triggered protests by locals who claimed that he was not a militant but an innocent killed in custody.
Ordering the inquiry, Antony directed the Army to take strict action against anyone found guilty.
Earlier, the Army had ruled out any inquiry into the matter contending that the youth was a militant as weapons were recovered alongside him.
"For us there is nothing to prove ... It is clear. Army is a disciplined force and carries out operations with honesty and integrity," General Officer Commanding of the Army`s 15 Corps Lt General Om Prakash told reporters on the sidelines of a function in Srinagar.
He said the operation in which the youth was killed in Bandipora district on Tuesday night was based on intelligence inputs about movement of militants for the past three days through the area.
"During this operation, movement was observed late in the night. When they were challenged, they opened firing first which was retaliated. One person was killed and weapons were also recovered from the spot," Lt Gen Prakash said.
Hilal Ahmad Dar, a resident of Aloosa in Bandipora district, was killed in army firing late on Tuesday night, triggering protests in the area.
The local residents have alleged that Dar was killed in custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Japan, China, S.Korea diplomats meet after North Korea launch
- Audio-Technica launches noise-cancelling Bluetooth headphones
- RSS defamation case: Supreme Court to hear Rahul Gandhi's appeal
- Xiaomi Redmi 3S, 3S Prime to go on sale today
- Sakshi Malik arrives to rousing reception, felicitated by Haryana government