Antony orders probe into killing of Kashmiri youth
New Delhi/Srinagar: Overruling the Army, Defence Minister A K Antony on Thursday ordered an inquiry into the killing of a youth in Kashmir which triggered protests by locals who claimed that he was not a militant but an innocent killed in custody.
Ordering the inquiry, Antony directed the Army to take strict action against anyone found guilty.
Earlier, the Army had ruled out any inquiry into the matter contending that the youth was a militant as weapons were recovered alongside him.
"For us there is nothing to prove ... It is clear. Army is a disciplined force and carries out operations with honesty and integrity," General Officer Commanding of the Army`s 15 Corps Lt General Om Prakash told reporters on the sidelines of a function in Srinagar.
He said the operation in which the youth was killed in Bandipora district on Tuesday night was based on intelligence inputs about movement of militants for the past three days through the area.
"During this operation, movement was observed late in the night. When they were challenged, they opened firing first which was retaliated. One person was killed and weapons were also recovered from the spot," Lt Gen Prakash said.
Hilal Ahmad Dar, a resident of Aloosa in Bandipora district, was killed in army firing late on Tuesday night, triggering protests in the area.
The local residents have alleged that Dar was killed in custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...