Any move to abrogate Article 370 will reopen JK`s accession to India: Omar
New Delhi: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Wednesday warned that any move to abrogate Article 370, which defines relationship between the state and the Centre, will reopen the issue of the state`s accession to India.
Omar also minced no words in saying that Article 370 of the Constitution was acting as a "bridge" between Jammu and Kashmir and rest of the country and attempts to weaken it would only weaken this relationship.
Omar`s forthright comments came in the backdrop of a debate set off by BJP Prime Minister Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi`s recent statement in Jammu that a debate should be held whether Article 370 that granted special status to J and K had benefited the state or not.
Replying to a question by BJP leader Vijay Jolly at "Agenda Aaj Tak" of India Today group conclave, Omar regretted that Article 370 was being presented as if it was distancing the state from the rest of the country.
"I can`t understand why are you people projecting the Article 370, which is the foundation stone of relations between Jammu and Kashmir with rest of India, as a provision which is creating a distance between Kashmir and Delhi.
"Ok now when you want to talk about the abrogation of Article 370, please explain which is the way you are going to adopt for its abrogation.
"The only way to abrogate it is by recalling the Constituent Jammu and Kashmir Assembly where the question of state`s accession with India can again be reopened," he said and added that more you try to harm the "bridge" the more you are weakening the relationship between the state and rest of country.
Referring to the recent political row over Article 370 and call by Modi for a debate, Omar asked where had he in his tweets written that there should not be any debate on Article 370. "It is BJP which changed its position.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan