APMCC asks government to restore Hindu shrines in Valley
New Delhi: In an attempt to revamp
ravaged temple sites in the Kashmir Valley, the APMCC here
organised a cultural programme to highlight the sorry state of
Hindu shrines there and asked the Government to restore them
to their past glory.
All Party Migrant Co-ordination Committee (APMCC)
Vinod Pandit said there is considerable proof of temple sites
being encroached in the Valley.
"Over the years about 80 per cent of temples have been
encroached by leaders and activists of mainstream parties in
collusion with the land mafia," he said.
"If the government wants the return of Kashmiri
Pandits to the Valley, then we need to know what steps are
they taking to restore our places of worship as it plays an
important role in building confidence among the masses,"
The party had earlier in March this year alleged that
nearly 500 temples in the Valley have been encroached and had
demanded a CBI probe into the matter.
Addressing a sparse gathering on the occasion at Shri
Ram auditorium yesterday, BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman
said "we need to keep our eyes open to any act which is
detrimental in the restoration of our religious places in the
Sitharaman, while referring to the records brought
into light by the APMCC on alleged encroachment of various
temples and shrines in the Valley, said that it is a matter of
concern and the issue needs to be looked into.
"This needs to be checked, if it has happened then it
is a matter of concern. We need to take the issue with both
the centre and state governments," she said.
"We cannot give our religious places for secular or
whatever causes," the leader added.
Pandit also demanded the opening of the route to
historical Shardha Peeth in Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (PoK)
and asked Centre to initiate a "concrete dialogue" with
Pakistan in this regard.
He asked the government to establish the much awaited
Shardha Peeth University without any delay and also
recommended the passing of Temples and Shrines Bill in Jammu
and Kashmir legislative assembly, which will serve as
confidence building measure for Kashmiri Pandits (KP) willing
to return to their homeland.
The chairman said, "These are the long pending demands
of Kashmiri migrants which need immediate attention to save
the 5,000 year old cultural heritage of Kashmiri Pandits in
Valley and outside."
The event also witnessed the screening of a
documentary on "Yatra to Harmukh Ganga, Gangbal", carried out
by the party members during June 2009, urging the KPs to carry
more such journeys in order to revive the age old traditions
and remain connected to the valley.
Among the others present on the occasion were Lt Gen
(Retd) T K Sapru, Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) ideologue
K N Govindacharya and BJP co-ordinator Shyam Jaju.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in