APMCC to launch fast-unto-death in Porbandar on Jan 30
Jammu: An organisation representing displaced Kashmiri Pandits Wednesday threatened to launch a fast-unto-death from January 30 next year at Porbandar in Gujarat if the Jammu and Kashmir government did not meet its demands.
"APMCC has announced January 30, 2013 as the date on which its chairman Vinod Pandit would begin his fast-unto-death in support of six demands at Porbandar in Gujarat for which he had gone on fast-unto-death in October 2011," APMCC Incharge Kashmir Unit, Sandeep Bhat said here today.
Bhat said the fast-unto-death would continue till public assurance was received from both the central and state governments that their demands would be taken up within a specific time-frame.
He said the APMCC has been demanding dialogue with Pakistan for facilitating visit of Kashmiri Pandits to Shardha Peeth situated in Pakistan occupied Kashmir and the establishment of Shardha Peeth University in J&K.
Apart from this, the body has demanded a probe into alleged land encroachment of temple and shrines in the state, besides passing of the pending Temples and Shrines Bill for J&K in the Legislative Assembly, he said.
He said the fast-unto-death would be launched at Porbandar which is the birthplace of Mahatma Gandhi, as he was the main inspiration in seeking resolution of demands through non-violent methods.
In October 2011, Pandit had started a fast-unto-death and after the assurance of state Medical Education Minister R S Chib to take up the issue with state government, he had called off the protest after 10 days, Bhat said.
However, since then the issue has been ignored by the state government, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price