`Apply Justice Verma panel`s AFSPA suggestions in J&K`
Srinagar: Welcoming the assurance of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the implementation of Justice Verma Committee`s recommendations, Jammu and Kashmir unit of CPI(M) today said the part of the report with regard to AFSPA needs prompt implementation in the state and Northeast.
"The assurance from the Prime Minister (on the Justice Verma Committee recommendations) is welcome... The recommendation about reviewing the contentious AFSPA and bringing armed forces under ordinary criminal law to prevent sexual offences against women in the state and the Northeast is highly appreciated and needs prompt implementation," CPI(M) state secretary M Y Tarigami told reporters here.
The Justice Verma Committee had been set up in the wake of the Delhi gang-rape incident to recommend measures to improve laws dealing with sexual offences in the country.
Addressing a party convention here, Tarigami expressed hope that recommendations vis-a-vis the Armed Forces Special Powers Act, as offered by Justice Verma, are considered with a "positive mindset" and in a "holistic" manner.
Demanding amendment in the Public Safety Act (PSA), Tarigami said that, "PSA has been in force since 1978 and there has been no effort to review its applicability. The provisions of the Act have been misused by invoking it on grounds which are vague and sometimes non-existent".
Referring to corruption and unemployment in the state, the CPI(M) leader said that the government in power had not been able to address these issues satisfactorily.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan