Army begins probe into youth`s killing in Baramulla
Srinagar: The Army on Thursday began the Court of Inquiry into the killing of a youth in Baramulla district of North Kashmir and asked Jammu and Kashmir police to identify civilian witnesses in the case.
The Court of Inquiry (CoI), headed by a Brigadier, was constituted to probe the circumstances in which Tahir Latief Sofi was killed on March five, official sources said.
Lt Gen K T Parnaik, GoC-in-C, while expressing deep sorrow and regret over the loss of precious life in Baramulla, had ordered a time-bound inquiry into the incident.
The Court of Inquiry will be examining the personnel and officers of 46 Rashtriya Rifles battalion of the Army besides the police and para-military personnel present at the spot when the incident had taken place.
The Army has also requested the state police to help identify civilian witnesses who could depose before the CoI, the sources said.
Police has also lodged an FIR in the case and is conducting a probe into the incident that took place on March five when hundreds of residents of Baramulla town took to the streets to protest alleged ransacking of their houses by the army in the area.
The protesters had pelted stones at the army personnel who allegedly opened fire to disperse them. Five persons were injured in the firing, of whom 25-year-old Sofi later succumbed to injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video