Army Chief arrives reviews security situation J&K
Srinagar: Amid a recent spurt in militancy-related incidents in Jammu and Kashmir, Army Chief General Bikram Singh on Monday reviewed the overall security situation in the state and took stock of the anti-infiltration measures along the Line of Control (LoC).
Singh`s two-day visit assumes significance in wake of the recent infiltration bid in Kupwara and a number of militant attacks in the Valley recently, including the one on an Army convoy in Srinagar on June 24 that left 8 jawans dead.
The Army Chief was briefed about the security situation in the Kashmir Valley by General Officer Commanding (GOC) of the 15 Corps, Lt Gen Gurmit Singh, at the Badamibagh Corps Headquarters, army sources said.
General Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Northern Command Lt Gen Sanjiv Chachra also briefed the Army Chief about the situation in the state, they said.
Singh received a detailed briefing about anti-infiltration measures, and commended the role of soldiers in foiling the recent infiltration bid in Keran sector of Kupwara district, in which five militants were killed.
The recent developments along the Line of Actual Control in Ladakh region were also discussed.
Meanwhile, an army spokesperson said General Singh interacted with the GoCs of various counter-insurgency forces and Divisional Commanders of the Army.
"The Chief of Army Staff addressed the officers of the Chinar Corps (15 Corps) which was relayed to officers present at 16 Corps (Jammu) and 14 Corps (Leh) through video conferencing," he said.
The Army Chief is scheduled to visit forward areas along the LoC tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Read: What Salman Khan has to say about Akshay's 'Singh Is Bliing'