Army Chief arrives reviews security situation J&K
Srinagar: Amid a recent spurt in militancy-related incidents in Jammu and Kashmir, Army Chief General Bikram Singh on Monday reviewed the overall security situation in the state and took stock of the anti-infiltration measures along the Line of Control (LoC).
Singh`s two-day visit assumes significance in wake of the recent infiltration bid in Kupwara and a number of militant attacks in the Valley recently, including the one on an Army convoy in Srinagar on June 24 that left 8 jawans dead.
The Army Chief was briefed about the security situation in the Kashmir Valley by General Officer Commanding (GOC) of the 15 Corps, Lt Gen Gurmit Singh, at the Badamibagh Corps Headquarters, army sources said.
General Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Northern Command Lt Gen Sanjiv Chachra also briefed the Army Chief about the situation in the state, they said.
Singh received a detailed briefing about anti-infiltration measures, and commended the role of soldiers in foiling the recent infiltration bid in Keran sector of Kupwara district, in which five militants were killed.
The recent developments along the Line of Actual Control in Ladakh region were also discussed.
Meanwhile, an army spokesperson said General Singh interacted with the GoCs of various counter-insurgency forces and Divisional Commanders of the Army.
"The Chief of Army Staff addressed the officers of the Chinar Corps (15 Corps) which was relayed to officers present at 16 Corps (Jammu) and 14 Corps (Leh) through video conferencing," he said.
The Army Chief is scheduled to visit forward areas along the LoC tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day