Army Chief arrives reviews security situation J&K
Srinagar: Amid a recent spurt in militancy-related incidents in Jammu and Kashmir, Army Chief General Bikram Singh on Monday reviewed the overall security situation in the state and took stock of the anti-infiltration measures along the Line of Control (LoC).
Singh`s two-day visit assumes significance in wake of the recent infiltration bid in Kupwara and a number of militant attacks in the Valley recently, including the one on an Army convoy in Srinagar on June 24 that left 8 jawans dead.
The Army Chief was briefed about the security situation in the Kashmir Valley by General Officer Commanding (GOC) of the 15 Corps, Lt Gen Gurmit Singh, at the Badamibagh Corps Headquarters, army sources said.
General Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Northern Command Lt Gen Sanjiv Chachra also briefed the Army Chief about the situation in the state, they said.
Singh received a detailed briefing about anti-infiltration measures, and commended the role of soldiers in foiling the recent infiltration bid in Keran sector of Kupwara district, in which five militants were killed.
The recent developments along the Line of Actual Control in Ladakh region were also discussed.
Meanwhile, an army spokesperson said General Singh interacted with the GoCs of various counter-insurgency forces and Divisional Commanders of the Army.
"The Chief of Army Staff addressed the officers of the Chinar Corps (15 Corps) which was relayed to officers present at 16 Corps (Jammu) and 14 Corps (Leh) through video conferencing," he said.
The Army Chief is scheduled to visit forward areas along the LoC tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets