Army chief meets J&K CM, Guv; discusses security situation
Srinagar: On a farewell visit to the Northern command, outgoing Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh on Saturday met Jammu and Kashmir governor NN Vohra and Chief Minister Omar Abdullah here separately and discussed the prevailing security situation in the state.
Accompanied by General Officer Commanding-in Chief of Northern Command Lt Gen DS Hooda and GOC of Srinagar-based 15 Corps Lt Gen Subrata Saha, the Army Chief met the Governor at Raj Bhavan and various "important matters" came up for a detailed discussion, an official spokesman said.
"The Governor and the Army Chief discussed various important matters relating to the extremely important role being played by the Army in safeguarding the territorial integrity and the internal security of each of the three regions of the State," the spokesman said.
He said Vohra, who has known the Army Chief since the time the latter served as the GOC XV Corps, complimented Gen Singh and all officers and men of the Northern Army for their exemplary devotion in enforcing a close and constant vigil along the two militarized frontiers of J&K, one of which is being perpetually transgressed.
The Governor also wished General Singh and his wife good health and happiness in the coming time.
Earlier, the Army Chief alongwith Lt Gen Hooda and Lt Gen Saha called on the Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and discussed matters relating to the prevailing security situation in the state, the spokesman said.
He said the Army generals briefed the Chief Minister about the functioning of the security grid besides issues related to it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Manipur HSLC Result 2016, BSEM HSLC Class 10th Results 2016, Manipur Board HSLC (10th Class) Results 2016 to be declared on May 24
- Sensex falls for 4th day on Fed rate hike caution
- Divyanka Tripathi, Vivek Dahiya to marry on July 8
- Ageing is not bad at all, Sushmita Sen explains why!
- Open spaces in Delhi, NCR could be used by anti-national elements, say security agencies