Army Chief reviews security situation in J&K
Jammu: In the backdrop of Centre`s
decision to withdraw 10,000 security personnel from Jammu and
Kashmir, Army Chief General V K Singh on Tuesday met senior
officers at Udhampur-based Northern Command which looks after
the operational area of the state.
The Army Chief, who arrived at Udhampur-based Northern
Command on a two-day visit this morning, held a meeting with
top army personnel.
Singh also reviewed the security situation,
counter-terrorism and counter-infiltration measures in the
Meanwhile, Lt Gen A K Choudhary, Commander of 9 Corps,
told reporters in Yol Camp in Himachal Pradesh today that
there is a need to take a holistic view on reduction of troops
in Jammu and Kashmir.
Based on this holistic policy, troops reduction would
be assessed and decided by Unified Headquarters in Jammu and
Kashmir, he said.
The Centre plans to withdraw nearly 10,000
paramilitary personnel from Jammu and Kashmir this year as it
feels that the state can do with less central forces.
The Army Chief had earlier said that a decision on
troop reduction will be taken by Unified Headquarter, the
highest security assessment panel in the state.
The Army Chief also visited the cave shrine of Mata
Vaishno Devi along with his wife Bharti Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog