Army Chief reviews security situation in J&K
Jammu: In the backdrop of Centre`s
decision to withdraw 10,000 security personnel from Jammu and
Kashmir, Army Chief General V K Singh on Tuesday met senior
officers at Udhampur-based Northern Command which looks after
the operational area of the state.
The Army Chief, who arrived at Udhampur-based Northern
Command on a two-day visit this morning, held a meeting with
top army personnel.
Singh also reviewed the security situation,
counter-terrorism and counter-infiltration measures in the
Meanwhile, Lt Gen A K Choudhary, Commander of 9 Corps,
told reporters in Yol Camp in Himachal Pradesh today that
there is a need to take a holistic view on reduction of troops
in Jammu and Kashmir.
Based on this holistic policy, troops reduction would
be assessed and decided by Unified Headquarters in Jammu and
Kashmir, he said.
The Centre plans to withdraw nearly 10,000
paramilitary personnel from Jammu and Kashmir this year as it
feels that the state can do with less central forces.
The Army Chief had earlier said that a decision on
troop reduction will be taken by Unified Headquarter, the
highest security assessment panel in the state.
The Army Chief also visited the cave shrine of Mata
Vaishno Devi along with his wife Bharti Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- OMG! 'Naagin' Mouni Roy has a doppelganger in another TV actress—Picture proof inside
- Chris Klein, wife welcome first child
- After KSRTC strike, Karnataka bandh called on July 30 over Mahadayi river water verdict
- Sun Pharma in $50 million deal with Spanish firm
- Tanmay Bhat jokes about Priyanka Chopra’s accent – Here’s her response and it’s cool!