Army Chief to pay tribute to Kargil War martyrs tomorrow
Jammu: Indian Army Chief General Bikram Singh will Friday pay tribute to the martyrs of 1999 Kargil War in Jammu and Kashmir`s Ladakh region.
Defence sources told IANS that General Bikram Singh, who is retiring July 31, will visit the Drass area Friday and will then fly back to New Delhi.
"The visit of the chief will be limited to Drass only," a defence source said.
Each year since 1999, the Army observes "Vijay Divas" to remember its soldiers who laid down their lives in Kargil district of the cold desert Ladakh region during the conflict between India and Pakistan.
The Kargil conflict was the most serious military engagement between the two neighbours since the war of 1971 that resulted in the division of Pakistan into two countries and the creation of Bangladesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- PM Modi's 10th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat': As it happened
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday