Army Chief to pay tribute to Kargil War martyrs tomorrow
Jammu: Indian Army Chief General Bikram Singh will Friday pay tribute to the martyrs of 1999 Kargil War in Jammu and Kashmir`s Ladakh region.
Defence sources told IANS that General Bikram Singh, who is retiring July 31, will visit the Drass area Friday and will then fly back to New Delhi.
"The visit of the chief will be limited to Drass only," a defence source said.
Each year since 1999, the Army observes "Vijay Divas" to remember its soldiers who laid down their lives in Kargil district of the cold desert Ladakh region during the conflict between India and Pakistan.
The Kargil conflict was the most serious military engagement between the two neighbours since the war of 1971 that resulted in the division of Pakistan into two countries and the creation of Bangladesh.
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan legal spat: Sona Mohapatra slams Adhyayan Suman - Here's why
- Kangana Ranaut's deposition after lot of delay, drama, says Hrithik Roshan's legal team
- WATCH: Ugly spat between Harbhajan Singh, Ambati Rayudu during Mumbai Indians vs Rising Pune Supergiants match
- Congress may project Priyanka Gandhi or Rahul Gandhi as its CM candidate for UP polls 2017
- ISKCON pins hopes on PM Narendra Modi for Krishna temple in Moscow