Army Chief to review security situation in J&K
New Delhi: In the backdrop of recent terror activities in the state, Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh will be in Jammu and Kashmir on Monday to review security situation with the state government and top military commanders.
Gen Singh will reach Srinagar tomorrow where he will hold discussions with Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and Governor N N Vohra, senior Army sources said.
During the visit, the Army Chief will be given a detailed briefing by the 15 Corps Commander Lt Gen Gurmit Singh on the activities of terrorists and the security situation in the Kashmir Valley, they said.
The visit comes after an increase in the militant activities in the state including an attack on an Army convoy on June 24 in which eight jawans were killed and several others injured.
The newly-appointed Northern Army Commander Lt Gen Sanjiv Chachra is also scheduled to brief the Army chief about the security scenario in the state.
The Army chief is also expected to be given a detailed briefing about the situation along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) with China.
The Army is taking several measures to strengthen its position at LAC in view of the recent incursion by the Chinese troops in Depsang valley and the situation in the Chumar sector.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre