Army convoy ambushed in Srinagar, eight jawans killed
Zee Media Bureau
Srinagar: A day before the high profile two-day visit of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Sonia Gandhi to Jammu and Kashmir, an Army convoy was attacked in Srinagar on Monday by militants in which eight jawans were killed and 19 others were injured.
The firing took place in the Bemina area of Srinagar. Army convoy was fired at from both sides of the road. Army has cordoned off the Bemina area after the militants fired over a dozen rounds at the convoy.
According to reports, Hizbul Mujahideen has claimed the responsibility for the attack. A manhunt has been launched to find the suspected militant who carried out the attack.
This is the second attack in two days by the militants. In another attack in Srinagar last week two policemen were killed.
Manmohan Singh, who is scheduled to arrive here on June 25, will go ahead with his Kashmir visit tomorrow even after today’s attack.
The security has been beefed up across the state in view of the attack as intelligence inputs suggested that the militants may try to carry out more such attacks during the VVIP visit.
According to sources, unmanned aerial vehicles were also pressed into service to carry out technical surveilance of Pir Panjal and Zabarwan mountain ranges amid inputs that militants armed with rockets had formed their base in the ridges of these mountains.
Today`s audacious attack took place at 1635 hours near Classic hospital on Panthachowk-Parimpora stretch on national highway leading to North Kashmir when a convoy of 35 Rashtriya Rifles was going to its base camp at Budgam.
Militants, armed with AK assault rifles, attacked the convoy from front as well as back and, according to eyewitnesses, three terrorists carried out the attack that left eight jawans dead and 16 others injured.
According to the Army, the condition of three jawans was stated to be critical.
The militants, who had snatched a motorcycle from two students in nearby Baghat area, fled from the scene on the two-wheeler as Army cordoned off the area.
While fleeing, the militants were intercepted by a joint naka party of police and CRPF at Barzulla. The ultras hurled a grenade and opened firing, resulting in injuries to a CRPF sub-inspector, a policeman and a civilian woman.
The militants then boarded a black Santro car and sped from the place. A high alert has been sounded and security forces have been asked to remain on look out for the car.
Army pressed into service choppers in an attempt to track the car used by the militants. The students, whose bike was hijacked, told police that militants were armed with AK 47 rifles and spoke chaste Urdu, normally not spoken in Kashmir.
Hizbul Mujahideen has claimed responsibility for the attack. A person Baliguddin, identifying himself as spokesperson of the outfit, called up a local news agency and said several squads have been formed and similar attacks will be carried out in the city in the future as well.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said such attacks will not shatter the morale of the security forces who have had great success in the past against the militant group.
"Such high profile attacks are aimed at restoring the shattered morale of the militants while trying to demoralise the security forces," he said.
Today`s attack comes two days after Hizbul Mujahideen militants gunned down two policemen in the heart of Srinagar city.
The brazen attack came even as security has been beefed up across the Valley in view of Prime Minister`s two-day visit starting tomorrow.
PMO sources in Delhi said that there was no change in Singh`s programme.
The Prime Minister is scheduled to reach here along with UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi on a two-day visit, during which he is expected to announce a package for border districts of Jammu and Kashmir.
Singh and Gandhi will also launch train service on a railway section between Qazigund in Kashmir and Banihal in Jammu region that will provide an all-weather link to the Valley.
(With inputs from PTI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'