Army de-mines 1,800 acres farmland along LoC
Jammu: A major chunk of agriculture land along LoC which was left abandoned following mine laying activity during Kargil war and Operation Parakram, has been
de-mined by the Army, bringing cheers to farmers in border areas here.
"Army has de-mined 14742 kanals (1,842 acres) agriculture land falling close to Indo-Pak border in Jammu and it has been handed over to border farmers through the state government," Deputy Chief Minister Tara Chand told a news agency.
"De-mining operation is on to clear rest of the agriculture land," Chand, who took up the matter with the Army and Defence Ministry, said.
Mines were laid on about 3,595 acres of land near LoC in wake of 1965 and 1971 Indo-Pak wars, Kargil war and Operation Parakaram, the deputy CM said.
Giving a break up, Chand, who represents the border Chammb constituency, said 13,871 kanals (1,733 acres) of land, which was mined during Kargil war and Operation Parakaram, was de-mined besides 871 kanal (108 acres) of 1971 Indo-Pak war mined land.
"This has brought cheers to the border residents as they got back their land for undertaking agriculture activities," he said.
The de-mining work is undertaken by the Cross-Swords Division of Army.
The de-mining operation along LoC is most tedious and high risk task which has been carried out by our troops bravely, a senior Army officer said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed