Army de-mines 1,800 acres farmland along LoC
Jammu: A major chunk of agriculture land along LoC which was left abandoned following mine laying activity during Kargil war and Operation Parakram, has been
de-mined by the Army, bringing cheers to farmers in border areas here.
"Army has de-mined 14742 kanals (1,842 acres) agriculture land falling close to Indo-Pak border in Jammu and it has been handed over to border farmers through the state government," Deputy Chief Minister Tara Chand told a news agency.
"De-mining operation is on to clear rest of the agriculture land," Chand, who took up the matter with the Army and Defence Ministry, said.
Mines were laid on about 3,595 acres of land near LoC in wake of 1965 and 1971 Indo-Pak wars, Kargil war and Operation Parakaram, the deputy CM said.
Giving a break up, Chand, who represents the border Chammb constituency, said 13,871 kanals (1,733 acres) of land, which was mined during Kargil war and Operation Parakaram, was de-mined besides 871 kanal (108 acres) of 1971 Indo-Pak war mined land.
"This has brought cheers to the border residents as they got back their land for undertaking agriculture activities," he said.
The de-mining work is undertaken by the Cross-Swords Division of Army.
The de-mining operation along LoC is most tedious and high risk task which has been carried out by our troops bravely, a senior Army officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO