Army defuses IED planted by militants
Srinagar: A major tragedy was averted on Tuesday when alert Army troops detected and destroyed an IED planted by militants by the roadside in north Kashmir`s Kupwara district, police sources said.
Troops of 41 Rashtriya Rifles detected an IED fitted in a pressure-cooker and concealed in a polythene bag at Khumriyal on Srinagar-Kupwara Road, sources said.
Bomb disposal squad of the Army was summoned and the explosive was destroyed in-situ, they said adding, there was no damage done due to the controlled explosion of the IED.
This was the third IED detected by security forces in the past fortnight.
A 15 kg IED was detected and destroyed by the Army in Handwara area of Kupwara on May 12, while another 5 kg IED was neutralised by experts at Shalteng on Srinagar-Baramulla Road on April 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj