Army defuses IED planted by militants
Srinagar: A major tragedy was averted on Tuesday when alert Army troops detected and destroyed an IED planted by militants by the roadside in north Kashmir`s Kupwara district, police sources said.
Troops of 41 Rashtriya Rifles detected an IED fitted in a pressure-cooker and concealed in a polythene bag at Khumriyal on Srinagar-Kupwara Road, sources said.
Bomb disposal squad of the Army was summoned and the explosive was destroyed in-situ, they said adding, there was no damage done due to the controlled explosion of the IED.
This was the third IED detected by security forces in the past fortnight.
A 15 kg IED was detected and destroyed by the Army in Handwara area of Kupwara on May 12, while another 5 kg IED was neutralised by experts at Shalteng on Srinagar-Baramulla Road on April 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees