Army foils infiltration bid; 2 militants, 3 jawans killed
Srinagar: The Army on Wednesday foiled an infiltration bid along the Line of Control (LoC) in Kupwara district of North Kashmir, killing two militants while three Army jawans were also killed.
"A major infiltration bid was foiled in Nowgam sector of Kupwara district after alert troops noticed movement of a group of about five militants near the LoC," Army spokesman Colonel A Vashisht said.
Two militants have been killed so far while search operations are going on for the other ultras, he said, adding, two AK assault rifles have been recovered from the scene of the encounter.
The spokesman said three Army jawans were also killed while battling the infiltrating militants.
This is the second major infiltration bid foiled by the troops near the LoC in Kupwara district within a week.
On Friday, troops shot dead four militants attempting to sneak into the Valley in Keran sector.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Monetary committee rules to be notified in few weeks: Economic Affairs Secretary
- Lucky escape for Goa mayor, six others as boat capsizes
- Land grab accused Asha Kumari appointed AICC in-charge of Punjab, triggers row
- 'Bank mergers likely to happen after SBI consolidation'
- After Dutee Chand, sprinter Srabani Nanda qualifies for Rio Olympics