Army forms special avalanche rescue team to prevent casualties in J&K
Pahalgam: In the wake of heavy snowfall and several casualties due to avalanches in Pahalgam town of Jammu and Kashmir, Army personnel underwent special training programme.
The Rashtriya Rifles have formed a 20-member team with special training and equipment to rescue people trapped in avalanches.
Incessant snowfall due to the influence of western disturbances often results in snowstorms and avalanches in the state.
The Commanding Officer of 3 Rashtriya Rifles, DK Malik, said that the Army personnel are being trained to deal with any such natural calamity so that they are well equipped to provide first aid treatment to the rescued people.
"We have formed an avalanche rescue team to prevent any causality. The team is capable enough to reach at any place in any weather. They can immediately evacuate the people and provide medical attention. The team can also take them to nearby hospitals if necessary," said Malik.
The soldiers, undergoing special training, said that this step would help to strengthen the bond between locals and the Army.
One of the team members, Sunny Singh, appreciated the efforts of their commanding officer to organise the special training.
"In the wake of heavy snowfall, our commanding officer has organised training. We are undergoing training as to how we can rescue the civilians and the soldiers," said Singh.
Reportedly, quick action team has been kept on high alert after the recent snow avalanches that hit the state.
The forces are also being briefed about the dos and don’ts during the rescue operations and are being acquainted with the avalanche equipments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!