Army generals visit Keran, take stock of ground situation
Srinagar: Two Army generals on Sunday visited the Keran Sector along the LoC, where troops are engaged in a counter-infiltration operation against militants for the past 13 days, and took stock of the ground situation.
"General Officer Commanding in Chief, Northern Command, Lt Gen Sanjiv Chachra and General Officer Commanding of the 15 Corps Lt Gen Gurmit Singh have visited the area to review the situation on ground," Officiating Brigadier General Staff (BGS) Colonel Sanjay Mitra told reporters here.
He said the high-level of professionalism and military acumen displayed by the troops in carrying out the operation under extremely challenging weather and terrain conditions was highly appreciated by the army commanders.
Later, Lt Gen Chachra called on Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and apprised him about the prevailing security scenario in the state.
"Matters relating to strengthening of the security grid and cooperation among various security agencies were discussed at the meeting," an official spokesman said.
He said the Army Commander also briefed Omar about various operations conducted by security forces to combat militancy.
The army operation against the holed up militants in Keran Sector entered the 13th day today.
The army had launched a massive anti-infiltration operation in Shalbhatti village in Keran Sector on September 24 after noticing a group of 30 to 40 militants trying to sneak into the valley.
The operation is going on in a vast area along the LoC and so far seven militants have been killed -- three in Gujjardoor village on Friday and four in Fateh Gali area yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read