Army jawan killed in accidental gunfire
Jammu: A jawan was killed in an accidental misfire from his own gun during practice at the Khanpur firing range here, Army said on Thursday.
Signalman Ravi Shanker was hit by "unfired" practice bullet in his chest during the firing exercise at Khanpur firing range in Nagotra belt in the outskirts of Jammu city yesterday, a senior Army officer said today.
He later died, he said.
Ravi had to fire 15 bullets during the practice, but could only fire 14 practice bullet and one got stuck up on the gun, he said.
After the firing practice, gun went off and the bullet hit him.
The deceased Army jawan belonged to 16 Corps Operating Signal Unit and his body is being sent to his native place in Bihar, he said, adding that his family is arriving here today to receive the body.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6.3-magnitude earthquake hits off Papua New Guinea: USGS
- Brexit a danger to US financial stability: Treasury
- Pak group uses ‘pellet-hit’ images of PM Modi, Amitabh Bachchan for Kashmir issue
- 19 killed in knife rampage at Japan care home; suspect surrenders
- Government auditor suspects companies rigged 1st e-auction of coal blocks in 2015