Army jawan killed in accidental gunfire
Jammu: A jawan was killed in an accidental misfire from his own gun during practice at the Khanpur firing range here, Army said on Thursday.
Signalman Ravi Shanker was hit by "unfired" practice bullet in his chest during the firing exercise at Khanpur firing range in Nagotra belt in the outskirts of Jammu city yesterday, a senior Army officer said today.
He later died, he said.
Ravi had to fire 15 bullets during the practice, but could only fire 14 practice bullet and one got stuck up on the gun, he said.
After the firing practice, gun went off and the bullet hit him.
The deceased Army jawan belonged to 16 Corps Operating Signal Unit and his body is being sent to his native place in Bihar, he said, adding that his family is arriving here today to receive the body.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why