Army launches major operation in Kupwara
Srinagar: Army has launched a major
operation against a large group of militants in forests of
Kupwara in Kashmir Valley where a woman was killed in "crossfire" between the two sides.
"We had information about presence of seven to eight
militants in Hafruda forest area and launched an operation to
track them down," Defence Spokesman Lt Colonel J S Brar told
reporters here Monday.
He said as the troops were zeroing in on the area where
the militants were hiding, the ultras opened fire, which was
The soldiers were informed by some nomads that two of
their members had been injured in crossfire.
"The firing was stopped and a woman and a man were
evacuated to hospital where the woman succumbed," he said.
He said soldiers were making all efforts to remove all
the civilians and their flock to safety before resuming the
operation against the militants.
The operation comes close on the heels of the army foiling a major infiltration bid by militants in Gurez sector
of Bandipora district on Saturday and killing 12 ultras.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Why so much hullabaloo over Aamir's statement, asks Nagma