Army not misusing AFSPA: Lt General KT Parnaik
Udhampur: Insisting that the revocation of AFSPA might put at stake the "fragile" peace existing in Jammu and Kashmir, Army on Monday said it has given advice to the Centre on the issue and it was for the government to take a call.
"It is a measured Act. AFSPA protects our officers and jawans who are faced with unusual situation," General Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Northern Command, Lt General KT Parnaik, told reporters on the occasion of 42nd Raising Day of the Northern Command.
He said the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act (AFSPA) divests huge powers in the Army, but the Indian forces have never misused it.
"The Army might have got increased powers under the Act, but the ethos of the Army and the drill which we go through train us to have restrain on ourselves.
So, to say AFSPA has been misused would not be right. The Army has always used AFSPA in the right way," the General said.
"With the use of AFSPA, the situation has remained peaceful for over last couple of years. If AFSPA would have been so draconian, the situation would not have become so peaceful," he said.
The General said the existing situation in the state may change if breathing space is provided to militants.
"We need to consolidate our position. The peace which you see, as I had mentioned earlier, is very fragile. It might get disrupted with a couple of triggers from the militants. So, we need to control the situation," he said.
On partial revocation of the Act, Parnaik, who is going to retire at the end of this month, said there was a possibility that militants might use it to their advantage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- How has life changed since govt's demonetisation move?
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof