Army soldier killed in Pak firing in Kashmir
Jammu: A Junior Commissioned Officer (JCO) was killed when Pakistan opened heavy fire with automatic weapons and rockets on Indian posts along the LoC in Poonch sector on Friday, in the third ceasefire violation in a fortnight.
One of the rockets hit Lonawali post on the Line of Control (LoC) in which one splinter hit JCO Naib Subedar Bachan Singh of Garhwal Regiment resulting in his death, a senior Army officer said.
The latest incident comes barely two days after Nawaz Sharif took oath as Pakistan Prime Minister. Sharif had yesterday vowed to "progressively pursue" normalcy in ties with India while actively seeking solutions to outstanding issues, including Kashmir.
Pakistani troops opened heavy firing with automatic weapons and Rocket-Propelled Grenades (RPGs) on Indian posts along the LoC in Subjian sub-sector of Poonch at around 1 pm, the officer said.
Indian troops retaliated after the unprovoked firing, he said, adding the exchange of fire was continuing till late in the day.
Army suspects that the firing was aimed at providing a cover to infiltrators trying to sneak in the Indian side.
The entire area has been cordoned off and a search operation has been launched, he said.
Earlier, on May 27, Pakistani troops had pounded Indian posts along the LoC in the same Poonch sector with rockets.
A Brigadier and two jawans were injured on May 24, when Pakistani troops opened fire on Indian positions along the LoC in the Tutmari Gali sector in Jammu and Kashmir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees