Army tightens security in Udhampur
Nagrota: Security has been beefed up
in Udhampur in the wake of a car-bomb blast that left one dead
10 others injured, an Army commander said on Thursday.
"We are worried (over the blast near Northern Command
Headquarter in Udhampur)...We have taken precautions. Security
has been beefed up in this regard," Northern Command GOC-in-C
Lt Gen K T Parnaik told reporters here.
"It (the explosion) is something which has not happened
in Udhampur and areas in south of Pirpanchal ranges for long
time," he said on the sidelines of a disaster management
conference at Whitenight Corps headquarters here.
Army has beefed up security in Northern Command
headquarters and along the 4-km-long stretch of JK highway,
which passes through the Command area in Udhampur, he said.
The blast took place in a car parked at Bermi bridge, 65
km from Udhampur, on the JK highway on May 2. Suspected
militants triggered the explosion through a remote control
when the car of Major General D S Pathania was passing through
the bridge. Though the Army officer escaped unhurt, window
panes of the car were damaged.
A milk vendor was killed and 10 others were injured in
the explosion, the first car-bomb blast in Jammu region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- When Muslim dies they give 20 lakhs, but Hindu doesn't even get 20,000: Sakshi Maharaj
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar