Army to buy latest snow mobiles for Ladakh sector
Jammu: Army`s Northern Command has issued a global tender for procuring latest snow mobiles which will ensure better mobility for jawans and intensified patrolling in the snow-bound areas of Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir.
General Officer Commanding-in-Chief (GoC-in-C) Northern Command recently issued a Request for Proposal (RFP) tender for procurement of 20 snow mobiles for the Army units deployed in Northern Command theatre in J&K.
The bids are invited from Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) of Defence Procurement Manual 2009 or Permanent Registered Authorised Distributors of OEM, a senior officer of Engineers` Branch at Northern Command Headquarter, said.
Snow mobiles are used as modes of transportation for men and material in glaciated and snow-bound areas (Siachen-Kargil heights of Ladakh region) of Jammu and Kashmir, he said.
The latest all-featured snow mobiles are being purchased for their use in border patrolling and for mobility of troops along the Indo-Pak border in Siachen-Kargil sector of Ladakh Region, he said.
The specification of the snow mobiles have been put as 4 stroke, 973 cc petrol engine with power backup and 4 ventilated disc brakes.
Army had procured 20 snow mobiles in 2008 after 30 snow mobiles, which were inducted into Kargil-Siachen sector soon after Kargil war to give better mobility to the troops patrolling the Indo-Pak border, had almost completed their effective utility period.
Army said that snow mobiles should have operational characteristics including snow & high altitude terrain operations, with operationalibility of minimum 4500 metres altitude in operating temperature of Plus 10 degree Celsius to Minus 40 degree Celsius.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui