Army wants to build close ties with locals: Maj Gen Patnaik
Akhnoor (Jammu): Bringing medicare facilities at the door steps of the people of remote border belt of Akhnoor here, Army today distributed spectacles among patients as a step to build-up relations with the local population.
GOC Cross Swords Division, Maj Gen Rustam Patnaik, distributed the spectacles among 30 patients at the closing ceremony of 2012-13 eye camp held under Operation Sadbhavna, around 35Kms from here.
This was a small step towards building close relationship with the people of the country, Maj Gen said.
"We always engage in programs which help us in coming closer to the local population. The purpose of this eye camp was to provide medical care to poor people who live in far flung areas and cannot avail the medical facilities. We thought why not to help these people and that was the reason why we organised this eye camp," Patnaik said.
"This is a small step and we wish to build such relations with the people that whenever they are in need we can help them and whenever we require their support they can help us," he said.
Earlier in November, last year, eye specialist and anaesthetist at military hospital here had screened more than 100 patients for cataract surgery.
All required laboratory investigations were carried out free of cost and 30 patients were shortlisted for surgery.
The patients were then successfully operated on December 11 and 12 at Jammu military hospital, an army official said.
Meanwhile, Patnaik said that they were looking forward to make contributions for the development of girl child in the months ahead.
"This year we want to work particularly for the development of girl child and for the development of youth. If we can contribute for the girl children I believe that will be the real Sadbhavna," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!