Army wants to build close ties with locals: Maj Gen Patnaik
Akhnoor (Jammu): Bringing medicare facilities at the door steps of the people of remote border belt of Akhnoor here, Army today distributed spectacles among patients as a step to build-up relations with the local population.
GOC Cross Swords Division, Maj Gen Rustam Patnaik, distributed the spectacles among 30 patients at the closing ceremony of 2012-13 eye camp held under Operation Sadbhavna, around 35Kms from here.
This was a small step towards building close relationship with the people of the country, Maj Gen said.
"We always engage in programs which help us in coming closer to the local population. The purpose of this eye camp was to provide medical care to poor people who live in far flung areas and cannot avail the medical facilities. We thought why not to help these people and that was the reason why we organised this eye camp," Patnaik said.
"This is a small step and we wish to build such relations with the people that whenever they are in need we can help them and whenever we require their support they can help us," he said.
Earlier in November, last year, eye specialist and anaesthetist at military hospital here had screened more than 100 patients for cataract surgery.
All required laboratory investigations were carried out free of cost and 30 patients were shortlisted for surgery.
The patients were then successfully operated on December 11 and 12 at Jammu military hospital, an army official said.
Meanwhile, Patnaik said that they were looking forward to make contributions for the development of girl child in the months ahead.
"This year we want to work particularly for the development of girl child and for the development of youth. If we can contribute for the girl children I believe that will be the real Sadbhavna," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'