Army wants to build close ties with locals: Maj Gen Patnaik
Akhnoor (Jammu): Bringing medicare facilities at the door steps of the people of remote border belt of Akhnoor here, Army today distributed spectacles among patients as a step to build-up relations with the local population.
GOC Cross Swords Division, Maj Gen Rustam Patnaik, distributed the spectacles among 30 patients at the closing ceremony of 2012-13 eye camp held under Operation Sadbhavna, around 35Kms from here.
This was a small step towards building close relationship with the people of the country, Maj Gen said.
"We always engage in programs which help us in coming closer to the local population. The purpose of this eye camp was to provide medical care to poor people who live in far flung areas and cannot avail the medical facilities. We thought why not to help these people and that was the reason why we organised this eye camp," Patnaik said.
"This is a small step and we wish to build such relations with the people that whenever they are in need we can help them and whenever we require their support they can help us," he said.
Earlier in November, last year, eye specialist and anaesthetist at military hospital here had screened more than 100 patients for cataract surgery.
All required laboratory investigations were carried out free of cost and 30 patients were shortlisted for surgery.
The patients were then successfully operated on December 11 and 12 at Jammu military hospital, an army official said.
Meanwhile, Patnaik said that they were looking forward to make contributions for the development of girl child in the months ahead.
"This year we want to work particularly for the development of girl child and for the development of youth. If we can contribute for the girl children I believe that will be the real Sadbhavna," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources