Army won’t allow al Qaeda foothold in Kashmir: GOC
Srinagar: Maintaining that situation in Kashmir is stable and peaceful, Army on Thursday said it will not allow international terror group al Qaeda to establish its foothold in the Valley.
Lt Gen Om Prakash, General Officer Commanding (GOC) of Army`s Srinagar based 15 Corps, said this while reacting to media reports which had quoted al Qaeda`s Pakistan commander Farman Ali Shinwari as saying that in the case of war in Kashmir, the militant group will fight the Indian forces.
"No al Qaeda will come here, we assure you that. Until our security forces are here, we will not allow them to be here," the GOC told reporters at a function here.
Lt Gen Prakash maintained that the situation in Kashmir was stable and peaceful. "I am sure we will maintain this kind of peace and stable environment," he said.
The army commander, who was the chief guest at the final match of the second Kashmir Premier League cricket tournament, said, "the fact that this tournament has been held in such a cordial environment...Is a proof of peace and stability."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth