Army`s closing of Pathribal killings case criticised in Kashmir
Srinagar: The Indian Army`s decision to close the 2000 Pathribal alleged staged shooting case has evoked strong reaction from different quarters inside and outside Jammu and Kashmir.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said on Friday the decision was extremely disappointing and his government would explore legal options to challenge the decision and seek justice for the victims of the incident.
Opposition People`s Democratic Party (PDP) patron and former chief minister, Mufti Muhammad Sayeed, said the decision would further increase the mistrust the local people harbor against established institutions in the country.
The PDP has rejected the Army`s decision terming it as "a miscarriage of justice".
Awami Itihaad Party chief and sitting legislator Engineer Rashid said the army`s decision was not surprising.
"There is nothing new in it and it is not surprising. We all know that it is the policy of Indian government to protect killers in the interest of their country. Pathribal is not the only incident where killers were given clean chit. There are numerous incidents that occurred in Kashmir and every time killers were set free," he claimed.
Tanvir Sadiq, political advisor to the chief minister, said: "This is an issue which has been resonating in the Valley and every citizen was watching these proceedings carefully. Now, what the CBI says is open to the whole of the world and when they in their report suggest that this has been a cold blooded murder, how can anybody close the case and suggest otherwise?
Another local legislator, Hakim Muhammad Yasin of the Peoples Democratic Front said: "Pathribal is not a single case where justice was strangulated but there are so many incidents where culprits were given a free hand. How can we expect justice in fake Machil encounter now when after so many years of proceedings Pathribal file was closed?"
International human rights watchdog, Amnesty International, issued a statement Friday against the Army`s decision to close the case against five soldiers accused in the killing of five locals, termed foreign terrorists.
Christine Mehta, researcher with Amnesty India said: "The Indian Army`s decision to close a case of alleged extra-judicial executions by five of its soldiers, despite an independent investigation finding evidence against them, reinforces the culture of impunity in Jammu and Kashmir.
"Given the evidence that existed against these soldiers, the army`s decision to conduct a new probe into the case is baffling.
"But perhaps it isn`t surprising that the army, after deciding to investigate its own alleged abuses, has given itself a clean chit," she said, adding the Army`s recent statements declaring zero tolerance for human rights violations "ring hollow after this decision".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015