`Around 400 terrorists still active in J&K`
New Delhi: Security situation in Jammu and Kashmir has improved but vigilance is required as there are still 400 terrorists in the border state, Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh has said.
The Army chief said the proposal to raise a Mountain Corps along the Sino-India border was being "vetted" and expressed hope that it would approved soon by the government.
"The situation in J&K and the Northeast has improved owing to the relentless operations carried out by the security forces. We need to remain vigilant...”
"We need to keep all enablers in place, especially when there are still around 400 terrorists in the state and intelligence reports allude to higher level of infiltration," he said in an interview to `The Week` magazine.
On the ongoing operations in Jammu and Kashmir, Gen Singh said security forces should "continue with intelligence-based operations while scrupulously upholding the law of the land and with utmost respect for human rights."
Referring to the suggestion of forming a Mountain Corps, he said, "Our proposal is undergoing the process of vetting and validation. The proposal is being resubmitted and I am confident that it will soon get approved."
As per its plans expected to cost over Rs 64,000 crore, Army wants to raise several new formations along the Sino- India border with increased artillery, armoured and other offensive capabilities.
On the recent face-offs between jawans and officers, Gen Singh said, "It remains the focus of the Army to identify the causative factors for such aberrations and institute measures to obviate them."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack