`Around 400 terrorists still active in J&K`
New Delhi: Security situation in Jammu and Kashmir has improved but vigilance is required as there are still 400 terrorists in the border state, Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh has said.
The Army chief said the proposal to raise a Mountain Corps along the Sino-India border was being "vetted" and expressed hope that it would approved soon by the government.
"The situation in J&K and the Northeast has improved owing to the relentless operations carried out by the security forces. We need to remain vigilant...”
"We need to keep all enablers in place, especially when there are still around 400 terrorists in the state and intelligence reports allude to higher level of infiltration," he said in an interview to `The Week` magazine.
On the ongoing operations in Jammu and Kashmir, Gen Singh said security forces should "continue with intelligence-based operations while scrupulously upholding the law of the land and with utmost respect for human rights."
Referring to the suggestion of forming a Mountain Corps, he said, "Our proposal is undergoing the process of vetting and validation. The proposal is being resubmitted and I am confident that it will soon get approved."
As per its plans expected to cost over Rs 64,000 crore, Army wants to raise several new formations along the Sino- India border with increased artillery, armoured and other offensive capabilities.
On the recent face-offs between jawans and officers, Gen Singh said, "It remains the focus of the Army to identify the causative factors for such aberrations and institute measures to obviate them."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145