Arrest warrant against ex-J&K minister
Srinagar: A court here on Saturday issued an arrest warrant against former Jammu and Kashmir minister of State for Health Shabir Ahmad Khan in connection with a sexual assault case.
Chief Judicial Magistrate, Srinagar, Rajiv Gupta issued the arrest warrant against Khan, an MLA from Rajouri, following an application moved by police.
Yesterday, police had registered a case against Khan after a lady doctor, wife of a separatist leader, alleged the minister had called her to his office in the Civil Secretariat last month and attempted to molest her.
Official sources said a police team had been constituted to arrest the former minister.
They said the team would soon leave for Jammu to arrest Khan who resigned yesterday.
The sources said the police had summoned Khan to present himself for investigations today and moved the court for an arrest warrant after he failed to appear.
Khan had yesterday moved an application for anticipatory bail in the Jammu wing of the state High Court but it was rejected.
In Jammu, a senior police officer told that the Srinagar Police had issued summons to Khan for appearance before it today.
The summons were sent to the SSP Jammu for execution, he said.
Summons were to be delivered at his official residence in Gandhi Nagar in the city but the ex-minister was not found there, the officer said.
Khan was a Congress representative in the Omar Abdullah government.
Work at SMHS Hospital in Srinagar was affected for a few hours today as doctors went on a strike and took out a rally demanding stern action against the former minister.
"We warn the government that if Khan is not arrested today, we will go on a strike and even shut down emergency services," president of the Doctors Association Kashmir (DAK) Nissar-ul-Hassan told reporters in Srinagar.
In a press release, the Awami Ittihaad Party said Khan should be put behind bars.
Party chief Rashid said the matter should be handed over to some credible agency for investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'