Arrests, detentions gifts of Omar govt to people: Mehbooba
Srinagar: Main Opposition PDP on Monday said
arrests and detentions are the only gifts of the Omar Abdullah
government to the people of Jammu and Kashmir.
The coalition government has failed to perform on the
governance front and is trying to exist only through "strong
arm tactics", PDP chief Mehbooba Mufti said in a statement
"Arrests and continued detentions are the only gifts
of the government to the people still nursing the wounds of
innocent deaths, injuries, disabilities and destitution during
the past two years," she said.
The PDP will resist attempts at enforcing the "silence
of the graveyard" in Jammu and Kashmir, Mehbooba said adding
her party will continue to focus on "denial of civil liberties
and human rights" in the state.
By holding teenagers and elderly persons in detention,
the government is actually discrediting not only itself but
also the process of reconciliation that was supposed to have
been initiated in the wake of last year?s unrest, she said.
"Contrary to claims made from time to time, a large
number of people continue to languish in detention centres
while the future of hundreds of youth has been imperilled by
filing of FIRs against them.
"A number of students have lost their academic pursuit
trying to evade arrest," the PDP head said.
Referring to the slapping of the Public Safety Act on
religious leader Qazi Yaser, Mehbooba said "it makes no sense
to deny peaceful citizens their liberty merely on suspicion."
"It is dangerous to link such high-handed conduct with
Panchayat polls or the sensitive issue of Amarnath Yatra," she
The attempt to link prominent local personalities with
trying to disrupt the yatra amounts to "painting black the
very people who take pride in hosting the pilgrimage", she
Citing the Panchayat polls as a reason to detain Qazi
is an insult to the people who have been participating in
large numbers in the elections, Mehbooba said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad