Article 370 can`t be scrapped in J&K: Baig
Jammu: Discounting the possibility of the
scrapping of Article 370 which grants special status to Jammu
and Kashmir, PDP on Saturday said the scheme of the Indian
Constitution itself was a safeguard against any such attempt.
"There is no way Article 370 can be done away with
without snapping the constitutional ties between the state and
the Union," PDP MLA and former deputy chief minister Muzaffar Hussain Baig said participating in the debate on motion of
thanks to the Governor`s address to the state legislature.
Explaining the context of Article 370 and the special
position granted to the state, Baig said it was no concession
to Jammu & Kashmir but a recognition of the distinct
historical, cultural and ethnic status of the erstwhile
princely state which had decided to throw its lot with a
democratic India at the time of Independence.
He said the Article had virtually assumed a permanent
status as it could be scrapped only through a resolution by
the constituent Assembly of J&K which had ceased to exist.
He said Kashmir had been at receiving end of "unfair,
discriminatory and at times inhuman conduct of powers that
held it through force ever since Mughals occupied it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31