Article 370 can`t be scrapped in J&K: Baig
Jammu: Discounting the possibility of the
scrapping of Article 370 which grants special status to Jammu
and Kashmir, PDP on Saturday said the scheme of the Indian
Constitution itself was a safeguard against any such attempt.
"There is no way Article 370 can be done away with
without snapping the constitutional ties between the state and
the Union," PDP MLA and former deputy chief minister Muzaffar Hussain Baig said participating in the debate on motion of
thanks to the Governor`s address to the state legislature.
Explaining the context of Article 370 and the special
position granted to the state, Baig said it was no concession
to Jammu & Kashmir but a recognition of the distinct
historical, cultural and ethnic status of the erstwhile
princely state which had decided to throw its lot with a
democratic India at the time of Independence.
He said the Article had virtually assumed a permanent
status as it could be scrapped only through a resolution by
the constituent Assembly of J&K which had ceased to exist.
He said Kashmir had been at receiving end of "unfair,
discriminatory and at times inhuman conduct of powers that
held it through force ever since Mughals occupied it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- Superstar Shah Rukh Khan's CPL franchise is now Trinbago Knight Riders
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf