Article 370 doing more harm than good: Jaitley
New Delhi: Terming Article 370 as a conspiracy against people of Jammu and Kashmir, BJP leader Arun Jaitley said it was doing more harm than good to them.
"Article 370 is doing more harm than good to the people of the state of Jammu and Kashmir. It hampers their progress in many ways. It was a conspiracy against them," Jaitley said.
The Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha was speaking during a "Discussion on The Interlocutors Report on J and K" organised by India Foundation here yesterday.
Describing former Prime Minister Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru`s vision for the state as "flawed", he said the recently released interlocutors` report on Jammu and Kashmir suffers from the "Nehruvian mindset".
Panditji`s vision for Kashmir proved very costly for India. It was a flawed vision. Giving special status to the state fanned separatist sentiments. It was a blunder among many other blunders in the approach to the issue of Jammu and Kashmir. The report also suffers from the Nehruvian vision" he said.
Jaitley outlined that the issue of Jammu of Kashmir is because of two main reasons of cross border terrorism and economic development.
"The problem of Kashmir is mainly because of two factors -- cross border terrorism and economic development. Until the terrorism from across the border stops, peace cannot come. And centre should usher in more economic development," he said.
He said the best way forward to bringing peace in the state is by winning the hearts of the people.
"The people of Jammu and Kashmir want peace. There are a few people who foment trouble, but the majority of the population does not see violence as a solution. And we can bring peace by winning the hearts of the people and by ushering in a great deal of economic development in the state," Jaitley said.
On the question of revocation of AFSPA from the state, the lawyer-turned-politician said: "There is no logic in partial revocation of AFSPA from certain areas of the state. You cannot have it in one district and not have it in another. It will hamper army operations.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged