Assam girl molestation: Omar for strict action against accused
New Delhi: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Friday favoured "strict action" against those accused of molesting a girl at a public place in Guwahati recently.
Terming the incident as unfortunate, Omar said strict action needs to be taken against the accused persons to deter others to indulge in such sort of shameful acts.
"I feel that strict action needs to be taken against the accused so that people do not ever think of indulging in such kind of acts," the Chief Minister told reporters here.
Omar, who was here to finalise the annual plan expenditure of current fiscal for the state, also asked people to introspect.
"It is a very unfortunate incident. Women are considered as goddess in our country. It is a matter of shame for all to see women being treated in these way.
"It took three days to take action against the accused and that too after the media publicised it. It is really sad. People should not only hold the authorities responsible for it but they should also introspect themselves," he said.
Omar said "one needs to look within as to what kind of person are we? How could one behave in such a way with a girl of XIth standard on roads? What sort of man are we? What message are we giving to our mothers, sisters and relatives by such acts? We need to ponder over it. Government needs to work and take action," an angry chief minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information