Attempts to undermine PRIs will not succeed: NC
Jammu: The National Conference on Tuesday said the panchayati raj institutions (PRIs) of Jammu and Kashmir will continue to gain strength and the intention of elements trying to undermine it will not be allowed to materialise.
"We reject the elements bent upon weakening the PRIs. The nefarious designs of such elements will never succeed and the tempo of PRIs will gather momentum day by day," NC MLC Shehnaz Ganai said today.
While holding a review meeting, she requested panchayat memnbers to redouble their efforts to ensure the benefits of governance reach to the grassroot level.
People are the main source of power and in a democratic setup, leadership lies in the hands of people, she said, adding the state government is committed to transfer powers to the people at grassroot level.
"Elections to panchayats were held in the state after over 30 years and the period of transition from one system to another takes some time," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!