Attempts to undermine PRIs will not succeed: NC
Jammu: The National Conference on Tuesday said the panchayati raj institutions (PRIs) of Jammu and Kashmir will continue to gain strength and the intention of elements trying to undermine it will not be allowed to materialise.
"We reject the elements bent upon weakening the PRIs. The nefarious designs of such elements will never succeed and the tempo of PRIs will gather momentum day by day," NC MLC Shehnaz Ganai said today.
While holding a review meeting, she requested panchayat memnbers to redouble their efforts to ensure the benefits of governance reach to the grassroot level.
People are the main source of power and in a democratic setup, leadership lies in the hands of people, she said, adding the state government is committed to transfer powers to the people at grassroot level.
"Elections to panchayats were held in the state after over 30 years and the period of transition from one system to another takes some time," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- It's a canard that Kalam was reluctant to appoint Sonia Gandhi as PM: Manmohan Singh