Avalanche, landslides keep J&K highway closed
Jammu/Srinagar: Kashmir Valley remained cut off from the rest of the country for the third day on Wednesday due to heavy snowfall, fresh landslides and an avalanche hitting the Jammu-Srinagar National Highway.
Due to the closure of the vital road link, over 1500 vehicles are stranded at various points on the highway.
"The highway is closed for the third consecutive day today. Two major landslides and an avalanche hit the highway in Ramban sector", Superintendent of Police, Ramban, Anil Magotra said.
After clearance of snow, two major landslides triggered by rains hit the highway at Panthal and Sher Bibi area in Ramban district, he said, adding an avalanche hit the highway at Nachlana area.
Four blasts have been engineered to break the heavy rock-load on the highway and clear it at Panthan by the Border Road Organisation (BRO).
"These landslides are major ones and would take four-five hours to clear part of it to make the highway open for one-way traffic", he said.
The men and machines of Border Road Organisation (BRO) are working to clear the highway of the landslides, avalanche and snowfall.
Over 1500 vehicles are stranded at various places en route the highway, police said in Jammu. The vehicles are stuck up at Nagrota, Udhampur, Kud, Ramban and Jawahir tunnel.
"No vehicle has been allowed to move from Nagrota checkpost to Kashmir and Doda districts in view of the closure of the highway", officials in Jammu, said.
Traffic police authorities have stopped Srinagar-bound vehicles at Nagrota in Jammu and Udhampur.
The inter-districts highways of Jammu-Rajouri-Poonch and Jammu-Doda-Kishtwar have also been closed in view of the snowfall and landslides.
In Srinagar, a traffic department official said the 294-km long Srinagar-Jammu National Highway will remain closed for all vehicular movement due to heavy snowfall along the Qazigund-Banihal sector.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Amazon working on music subscription service for $5 a month
- Outstanding! Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' is unstoppable at the Box Office – Read more
- New Hyundai Elantra to be launched in India today
- Amit Shah to inaugurate workshop of BJP state core committees
- Samsung likely to launch Tizen powered Z2 smartphone in India today