Avalanche warning issued in Kashmir
Srinagar: Authorities on Saturday issued a medium-danger avalanche alert in several parts of Kashmir in view of moderate to heavy snowfall forecast over the next three days.
"A medium-danger avalanche warning has been sounded by Snow and Avalanche Study Establishment (SASE) for Gurez, Gugladara, Keran, Machil, Chowkibal and Tangdar in north Kashmir areas close to the Line of Control," Coordinator
Disaster Management Cell, Aamir Ali said.
He said the warning will be in force till 5.00 pm tomorrow.
"People living in the higher reaches of these areas have been advised to curtail their movement during snowfall and not to venture into avalanche-prone areas," he said.
With fresh western disturbance approaching the state, Ali said fairly widespread snowfall may occur at many places from tomorrow to Tuesday.
Divisional Commissioner, Kashmir, Asgar Hassan Samoon has directed all Deputy Commissioners of the districts there and other officials concerned to ensure that necessary measures are taken to ensure minimum disruption of services, he said.
Samoon also asked the Traffic department to announce
one-way traffic on Srinagar-Jammu National highway from
tomorrow till February 8 so that passengers are not put to
inconvenience due to snowfall.
Chief Engineer Public Health Engineering Department has
been directed to ensure uninterrupted water supply at tourist
resort Gulmarg, where tourists and schoolchildren have gone
for skiing courses, Ali said.
"Instructions were also given that no vehicle will be
allowed beyond Tangmarg towards Gulmarg unless it has 4x4
facility or the tyres are fitted with chains," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH