Avalanches: Fencing along LoC extensively damaged
Srinagar: Avalanches in Kashmir have caused
"extensive" damage to the fencing along the LoC in the Valley,
posing a fresh challenge to the anti-infiltration grid, the
Army said on Saturday.
The Army was also reviewing the feasibility of abandoning
some posts near the Line of Control (LoC) in wake of the
looming threat of fresh avalanches.
"There has been extensive damage to the fence in many
areas, especially along the Shamsabari (mountain) range,"
General Officer Commanding-in-Chief (GOC-in-C) of Northern
Command Lt Gen K T Parnaik told reporters here.
The fence along the LoC was erected in 2004 as part of
the counter-infiltration measures and has proven vital in the
efforts of the army to check infiltration.
Lt Gen Parnaik said there was so much snow in the area
that it has even buried the fence.
"This is a yearly phenomenon but this year the snow has
been rather heavy...the fence has got damaged. In fact, there
is so much of snow that it has got over the fence," he said.
Avalanches have struck many areas along the LOC in
Kashmir following heavy snowfall in the Valley this winter.
A massive avalanche hit the headquarters of 109 Infantry
Brigade at Dawar area of Gurez sector, near LoC, in Bandipora
district on Wednesday night resulting in the death of 14
soldiers while two others are still missing.
Three more soldiers were killed the same day when another
avalanche hit an army camp in Sonamarg area of central Kashmir
Lt Gen Parnaik said the Army faces a "huge task" to
retrieve and repair the fence once the snow melts and summer
"I am sure we will be able to do it in time," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi