Avalanches hit various areas in J&K
Jammu: Several avalanches hit various areas
of the mountainous Ramban district of Jammu and Kashmir Tuesday without causing any casualty.
"There were avalanches in various places in Ramban district. But there are no reports of any casualty," Superintendent of Police (SP) Ramban Anil Magotra said.
The first avalanche hit Shatani Nallah area blocking the
highway Jammu-Srinagar National highway, he said adding that
the avalanche is 50 meter wide and 7 meter high.
Another hit Nachalana area of highway, the SP said adding
that it is 45 meter wide and 3 meter high. As per another
report, an avalanche hit Mohu Mangat area of the Ramban
district details of which are awaited.
"On the basis of information received from Snow and Avalanche Study Establishment (SASE), a medium danger avalanche warning has been issued for higher reaches of north Kashmir," Coordinator Natural Disaster Management Cell Aamir Ali said.
The official said the areas prone to avalanches include
Khilanmarg, Uri, Chowkibal, Tangdar, Keran, Macchil and Gurez.
"People living in these snow-bound areas above the height
of 7,500 feet have been advised not to venture into avalanche
prone areas during the next 24 hours," Ali said.
The major landslide also hit at Digdol, Panthal, Sheri-bibi and Maroog and Shergarhi areas in the district,
SP said adding that there was no loss of life or damage to
property in these incidents.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know