Avalanches hit various areas in J&K
Jammu: Several avalanches hit various areas
of the mountainous Ramban district of Jammu and Kashmir Tuesday without causing any casualty.
"There were avalanches in various places in Ramban district. But there are no reports of any casualty," Superintendent of Police (SP) Ramban Anil Magotra said.
The first avalanche hit Shatani Nallah area blocking the
highway Jammu-Srinagar National highway, he said adding that
the avalanche is 50 meter wide and 7 meter high.
Another hit Nachalana area of highway, the SP said adding
that it is 45 meter wide and 3 meter high. As per another
report, an avalanche hit Mohu Mangat area of the Ramban
district details of which are awaited.
"On the basis of information received from Snow and Avalanche Study Establishment (SASE), a medium danger avalanche warning has been issued for higher reaches of north Kashmir," Coordinator Natural Disaster Management Cell Aamir Ali said.
The official said the areas prone to avalanches include
Khilanmarg, Uri, Chowkibal, Tangdar, Keran, Macchil and Gurez.
"People living in these snow-bound areas above the height
of 7,500 feet have been advised not to venture into avalanche
prone areas during the next 24 hours," Ali said.
The major landslide also hit at Digdol, Panthal, Sheri-bibi and Maroog and Shergarhi areas in the district,
SP said adding that there was no loss of life or damage to
property in these incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened