Avalanches strike Gurez area in Kashmir, 1 killed
Srinagar: One person was killed while two
others were trapped under heaps of snow as two avalanches
struck Gurez area near the Line of Control in Bandipora
district of Kashmir.
A civilian vehicle with five persons on board including
the driver were caught in the avalanches which struck at
around 7.00 pm Monday evening on Kanzalwan road in Gurez, 124 kms
from here, a defence spokesman said.
He said three persons were pulled out alive from the
avalanche by a joint rescue team of civil administration and
Army while two persons were still trapped.
One of the rescued persons succumbed to injuries later,
the spokesman said, adding efforts were on to trace the other
Air Force helicopters have been kept on standby for
evacuating the injured, an official of the Natural Disaster
Management Cell said. He said heavy rains in the area were
hampering the rescue efforts.
A massive avalanche struck 109 Infantry Brigade of the
Army in Dawar area of Gurez last month, killing 16 soldiers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert