Aziz-separatists meet: Guns can solve Kashmir issue, says Geelani
Zee Media Bureau/Sushmita Dutta
Srinagar: A day after meeting Pakistan Pime Minister Nawaz Sharif’s adviser on security and foreign relations, Sartaj Aziz, separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani on Tuesday spat venom over the Kashmir issue.
While reiterating his stand on the Jammu and Kashmir issue, Geelani said, “Guns can be a permanent solution for J&K.”
As per news reports, Geelani said to a local news agency KNS, "When India was fighting against the British rule, on one side (Mahatma) Gandhi propagated peaceful struggle and on other hand, there was Bhagat Singh, who used violent means to achieve the freedom. India accepts Bhagat Singh as a martyr."
Earlier, the separatist leader had said that guns could be a permanent solution for solving the Kashmir issue with Pakistan.
The senior Hurriyat and JKLF leaders met with Aziz in the national capital on Sunday evening and had discussed with them on the J&K’s latest political developments, the situation on the LoC and the International Border, besides India-Pakistan relations.
The meeting immediately stoke a controversy as it came at a time when border tensions are brewing between India and Pakistan.
Meanwhile, the cornered Geelani, after facing backlash over his controversial statement, took a U-turn and said: "Guns could be one of the options for permanent solution of the Kashmir issue besides other political means."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!