Baglihar hydel project to have CCTVs, boom barriers
Jammu: Security is being beefed up in and around the 450 MW Baglihar hydroelectric power project, which has been facing terror threat, with Jammu and Kashmir government deciding to install CCTVs and boom barriers.
"We are installing CCTVs, vehicle scanners and boom
barriers as a major fool proof security set up in and around
the project in view of security requirements," officials of
the Baglihar Hydroelectric Project told a news agency.
While, CCTVs will keep an eye on the movement of the
suspected persons and material, scanners will scan the
vehicles for explosive material and boom barriers to regulate
The security gadgets will be installed at power house
pothead, yard, main access tunnel, generation rooms and other
peripheral units forming part of the project.
An expression of interest for installation of CCTVs,
access control room, vehicle scanning devices and boom
barriers for the project has been issued by Chief Engineer of
Generation Wing of Power Development Corporation.
The Baglihar project has been on terror radar after
two arrested Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) Mohammad Shafkat and
Mohammad Adnan, both Pakistanis, had revealed during an
interrogation last year that a group of 15 militants were
being specially trained in Pakistan-Occupied Kashmir to attack
the project, particularly the dam, according to police
The state government has from time-to-time reviewed
security for the sensitive project following claims by
Pakistan that it was violative of the Indus Water Treaty with
The concrete dam, which was commissioned in October
2007 by the Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh, has a length
of 353.22 metres and a height of 144.5 metres.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown