Bajrang Dal’s march to Amarnath foiled
Jammu: Police on Sunday detained 53 Bajrang Dal activists foiling their bid to move towards the Baltal base camp of Amarnath cave shrine in Kashmir ahead of commencement of the annual pilgrimage next month.
Flagged off by VHP state chief Rama Kant Dubey from Jammu city, a group of 150 boarded two buses and left for Kashmir Valley but were intercepted by police on Jammu-Srinagar National highway at Jajjarkotli, 35 kms from here.
"53 activists of Bajrang Dal were detained and have been taken to District Police Lines (DPL) Jammu", police said adding later in the evening the magistrate ordered their release.
However, they have refused to leave DPL and are demanding that they be allowed to move to Kashmir to carry out `kar seva` (volunteer work) there.
"We had flagged off a team of 150 activists to Baltal base," Dubey told reporters here .
He said the team was to take part in snow clearance operations to facilitate smooth commencement of the pilgrimage.
He criticised the authorities for detaining Bajrang Dal activists. "They were not breaking any law by going to Kashmir to carry out the kar seva for Amarnath yatra there," he said.
He criticised the Amarnath Shrine Board`s decision to reduce the number of days of the Yatra citing climatic reasons and commence the yatra from June 25.
Various Hindu organisations including VHP are demanding that Amarnath Yatra should start from June 4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues