Bajrang Dal’s march to Amarnath foiled
Jammu: Police on Sunday detained 53 Bajrang Dal activists foiling their bid to move towards the Baltal base camp of Amarnath cave shrine in Kashmir ahead of commencement of the annual pilgrimage next month.
Flagged off by VHP state chief Rama Kant Dubey from Jammu city, a group of 150 boarded two buses and left for Kashmir Valley but were intercepted by police on Jammu-Srinagar National highway at Jajjarkotli, 35 kms from here.
"53 activists of Bajrang Dal were detained and have been taken to District Police Lines (DPL) Jammu", police said adding later in the evening the magistrate ordered their release.
However, they have refused to leave DPL and are demanding that they be allowed to move to Kashmir to carry out `kar seva` (volunteer work) there.
"We had flagged off a team of 150 activists to Baltal base," Dubey told reporters here .
He said the team was to take part in snow clearance operations to facilitate smooth commencement of the pilgrimage.
He criticised the authorities for detaining Bajrang Dal activists. "They were not breaking any law by going to Kashmir to carry out the kar seva for Amarnath yatra there," he said.
He criticised the Amarnath Shrine Board`s decision to reduce the number of days of the Yatra citing climatic reasons and commence the yatra from June 25.
Various Hindu organisations including VHP are demanding that Amarnath Yatra should start from June 4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA