Bajrang Dal’s march to Amarnath foiled
Jammu: Police on Sunday detained 53 Bajrang Dal activists foiling their bid to move towards the Baltal base camp of Amarnath cave shrine in Kashmir ahead of commencement of the annual pilgrimage next month.
Flagged off by VHP state chief Rama Kant Dubey from Jammu city, a group of 150 boarded two buses and left for Kashmir Valley but were intercepted by police on Jammu-Srinagar National highway at Jajjarkotli, 35 kms from here.
"53 activists of Bajrang Dal were detained and have been taken to District Police Lines (DPL) Jammu", police said adding later in the evening the magistrate ordered their release.
However, they have refused to leave DPL and are demanding that they be allowed to move to Kashmir to carry out `kar seva` (volunteer work) there.
"We had flagged off a team of 150 activists to Baltal base," Dubey told reporters here .
He said the team was to take part in snow clearance operations to facilitate smooth commencement of the pilgrimage.
He criticised the authorities for detaining Bajrang Dal activists. "They were not breaking any law by going to Kashmir to carry out the kar seva for Amarnath yatra there," he said.
He criticised the Amarnath Shrine Board`s decision to reduce the number of days of the Yatra citing climatic reasons and commence the yatra from June 25.
Various Hindu organisations including VHP are demanding that Amarnath Yatra should start from June 4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players