BDC polls deferred for a short period: J&K Congress
Jammu: Asserting that coalition partners Congress and National Conference are on one page to set up fully empowered Panchayat Raj System in Jammu and Kashmir, Congress Sunday said the Block Development Council (BDC) polls in the state were deferred for a "short period" only.
"The BDC polls were deferred, for a short period only, to establish a fully empowered Panchayat Raj system in the state, on the pattern of 73rd amendment of the Constitution," JKPCC general secretary and MLA Ravinder Sharma told reporters here.
He said that the deferment of BDC polls for a short period, was thought advisable in the interest of Panchayat Raj system, in order to incorporate the best provision of the 73rd amendment in the State Panchayat Raj Act.
"The holding of polls for these bodies without necessary amendment incorporating further powers and due representation to the women and the deprived section of the society, would not have served the purpose of establishing fully empowered institutions of Panchayat Raj," Sharma said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?