Bhullar ruling to remind J&K of `miscarriage of justice` in Guru`s case: NC, PDP
Srinagar: With Supreme Court commuting Khalistani terrorist Devender Pal Singh Bhullar`s death sentence to life term, NC and PDP on Monday raked up the execution of Afzal Guru, saying the verdict will keep reminding Kashmir of the "miscarriage of justice" in the Parliament attack case.
Ruling National Conference said the SC`s order for Bhullar highlighted "discrimination somewhere in the system" that made the Centre "expedite" the death sentence of Guru without him being afforded "adequate opportunities and provisions to appeal for mercy".
"While we do not resent, nor oppose the relief provided to Bhullar, we cannot help but wonder why this could not be done in Guru`s case. Both the legal process that led to the execution of Guru as well as the manner of his execution raised a lot of questions about the objectivity and neutrality of our legal system," NC spokesperson Junaid Mattu said in a statement here.
Reacting to the verdict, Peoples Democratic Party chief Mehbooba Mufti said: "Such development as like the latest by the apex court or its earlier verdict on convicts who have been on death row has re-opened the wounds of Kashmiris."
The SC commuted the death sentence of Bhullar, convicted in 1993 Delhi bomb blast case, to life term on the grounds of delay in deciding his mercy plea and his medical condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America